Wednesday, July 6, 2011

C O E X I S T


By now, even those of you living under a rock should have heard of the Coexist campaign. If you haven’t, you may have seen their logo as a bumper sticker or a button or something. Usually, it looks something like this: I’ve been seeing a lot of these stickers around, and I decided to check it out today. It’s a pretty noble concept. This, the most simplified version of the logo, only shows the symbols of Islam, Judaism, and Christianity (in that order). There are a lot of different versions that people have made themselves.

I rather like this one. I’m not sure why. It’s just…different. Islam, Hindu, Judaism, peace, Taoism/Confucianism, Christianity.

This one is also very common for bumper stickers. Islam, peace, male/female, Judaism, Wicca/Pagan/Bah’ai (my apologies if I spelled that wrong), Taoism/Confucianism.

This one has the explanations underneath, but they might be a little hard to read. Islam, Buddhism, Science, Judaism, Paganism, Wiccan, Christian. I like how this one shows how science and religion can coexist as well as regular religions. They don’t have to be two completely separate entities in our lives. I’ll get more into that later.

Very similar to the previous one, but it switches Pagan and Buddhism.
As you can see, they’re all a little different, but they all carry the same message. Religious (and scientific) peace and tolerance. But what if we took it into more than just religion? What if we could have every part of our lives in coexistance?
Science and religion.
Mathematics and art.
Nature and technology.
The past and the future.
Hell, maybe even Microsoft and Apple.
…No, not Microsoft and Apple. Some healthy competition is good. Even if it results in gladiatorial fights to the death.
But, really. Why shouldn’t we? Peace and balance are good. Equilibrium. Homeostasis. It’s all good stuff. And now I sound like a hippie naming off drugs. Damn.
Posted on by Jen   

No comments:

Post a Comment